Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Semester of Lasts

Well, it has certainly been a long time since the last time I posted! I really kind of forgot all about this blog. However, I think I'm going to start it back up again because I want to keep track of my journey of my last semester at Cedarville, and my student teaching! For those who read this, now you can have updates on what's going on and can pray for me! I'll definitely need it.

Here is the background of my student teaching:

My spring semester last year I was placed at Cherry Hill Primary in a little town called Washington Court House about 40 minutes away from campus. I was placed with a second grade class and a teacher whose name is Mrs. Carter. We had such a great relationship! Not only did she share her class with me for a month, she taught me how to be a better teacher. She took me under her wing, as did the other women in our pod. Here's how Cherry Hill works: there are 8 second grade classrooms, and they are split in half. 4 teachers are considered one "pod," and the other 4 are another. The teachers in the pods work closely together and collaborate on a daily basis and have weekly meetings. The teachers who were in my pod last year are the same I am with now. Mrs. Meriweather, who is who I'm with currently, was right next door to Mrs. Carter and I. I got to know her pretty well, and she requested me for this year for my student teaching. How good is God?! So this summer, we were emailed and told that if we wanted to be placed somewhere specific for student teaching, we needed to let Cedarville know so they could start that process. Well, I may or may not have forgotten to do that. BUT, one day in July, I believe, I received an email from our placement lady that said I had been placed at Cherry Hill, in second grade, with Cyndi Meriweather. The Lord completely dropped it in my lap. I could get teary just thinking about it!


I was supposed to start my student teaching on Tuesday, but we had a snow day! I was kind of bummed, but also thankful because I really didn't sleep well Monday night. I've never been able to sleep very soundly the night before a new field experience starts. So it was a rather restless sleep. I was woken up around 5:45 am to my phone ringing. "Good morning, dear. This is Mrs. Meriweather. School is closed today!" My sweet mentor teacher called me. So no school! I used my extra day to pick up my roommate, Hannah, from the airport, clean out my desk, and just relax. Wednesday came, which brought a 2 hour delay. I could hardly contain my excitement as we (2 other Cedarville students are at Cherry Hill with me!) pulled into the parking lot. At about 11:00, the students started trickling in. It was SUCH a good day. I immediately started trying to memorize all the students' names and figure them out. Thursday we had ANOTHER snow day. I was pretty disappointed. It was hard getting all geared up for our first week, and then hardly be there! But I guess that we are being taught flexibility, which Mrs. Carter taught me is a HUGE part of being a teacher! Friday we had ANOTHER 2 hour delay, but at least I got to go! I have the students' names down, began planning for when I start teaching next week, and I got to do a read aloud with the kiddos!

I'm going to try to post here as much as possible for those who are wanting to keep up with my life at Cedarville and my student teaching! As things get busier...who knows that this will look like :) Hopefully once a week, at least.

I can't wait to see what the Lord teaches me this semester, and how He uses me! Please pray that I will be a willing vessel for Him, and that I am balanced with my life and that I don't get too stressed.

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment